Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Songs

.
Songs can be a wonderful way in which a message from our subconscious can surface in such a way that we can become aware of it. This can happen because you are thinking about something ~ and as you turn on the radio there is something in the song that is playing that unexpectedly gives you a different perspective on it. A new view that can lead you to a new outcome, or a new solution.
Another manner in which a song can be helpful in bringing something into your awareness is through just ‘popping up’ in your head. Suddenly you find yourself humming or singing a couple of lines of a song... It can be a song that you know well, or a song of which you just know the chorus lines ~ whichever it is; out o the blue it is there...

The latter one happens to me every once in a while. And while I am not always certain what the message is right away ~ I have learned to pay attention! Because there is always an answer there, even if I am not certain about the question just yet.

Today the song I found myself humming to myself is John Denver’s ‘Country Roads’. There are only two lines of the song:
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze...

The song is about returning home, about returning to the place where you belong.
The two lines of text I cannot get out of my head indicate to me that nature is old yet in continuous movement. Light footed, almost unnoticed ~ like a breeze...

So there is something about coming home to nature, coming home to the earth that is important to me... My innermost Self feels deeply connected to the earth. Something that is not always obvious in day-to-day life, when things need to get done, and bills need to get paid.
Still it is important to honor that innermost part of Self...

It makes me wonder what set it off?
Was it the quiet meditation this morning, sitting in the tall grass under the old tree, with only the sounds of insects and the occasional bird competing with the song that carried on the breeze? Or is it the view of the mountains as I sit here in a nice and cool space with my laptop, writing?
I probably will never know...

Yet there is a breeze, and it carries a song of change. Changes in the weather as Fall is setting in with the long awaited cooler weather in the forecast.
And perhaps also changes in that deep, innermost connection to the earth...
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment