Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our Unique Rhythm, again

.
I am not a morning person. If it were up to me, the daily activities would not start before 9AM ~ and things that require my focussed attention I hardly ever start before 11AM.
On the other hand, I usually have no problem at all working well into the evening...
Needless to say I feel very fortunate to be in a position where I can schedule my life accordingly.

So why change?
A major reason is when the energies of nature start pushing me.

That can be through the seasons; I feel an active anticipation in the Spring; I truly enjoy the long Summer evenings; I feel productive in the Fall ~ and I wouldn’t mind sleeping through the Winter...
I realized a long time ago that this follows the energy of the seasons: Spring is the time for new beginnings, Summer keeps that what has been started going, Fall is the time for harvest, and Winter is the time for rest and ‘dreaming up’ new beginnings...
And although this doesn’t mean that I won’t do anything productive in the Winter, or come up with new concepts during the Summer ~ I have learned that I get the best results when I permit myself to work with the energies of the seasons, rather than against them.

In a similar manner the weather can push me into a rhythm different than my natural rhythm.
And I am not talking about the odd rainstorm when I really hoped it would stay dry... But there are more extreme circumstances when it seems a good thing to do to ‘give in’ instead of stubbornly sticking with my own pattern. Like when the Winter weather is not just cold, but comes with lots of precipitation that stays around in the form of icy roads, or lots of snow. I may have plans for some activity outside; but under the circumstances, it that really the thing to do?
And Summer can bring a weather pattern that is so warm, that doing any activities ~ especially in the alert and focussed time within my rhythm, in the middle of the day ~ could put me at risk...

In our society today we have invented ways around pretty much everything nature can throw at us that might push us our of the accepted, productive rhythms of everyday life. We have lights that we put on to create longer days, heaters to fence off the cold, and air conditioners to keep our space and ourselves cool.

Yet, sometimes it makes me wonder, is it really such a bad idea to allow our natural rhythm to work in partnership with the rhythms of nature? Wouldn’t that make it easier for us to do the things we want to do in their right and proper time?
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment