Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Simple questions

.
Sometimes the simple questions lead to significant understanding.

Some of the simplest questions I have been asked lately, I have been asked by one of my three black cats. Over many years of sharing my life with cats, I have come to know the species as opportunistic, manipulative, cunning. They are also cuddly, laid back, funny, purring creatures. Purrrrfect indeed!

And most of their questions have to do with food, attention, and most importantly getting it their way every time. In the past I have tried to keep some semblance of control ~ but all that I got for my efforts were icy stares and cold shoulders...

The question that comes up on a regular basis ~ apart from requests for food, more food and ‘better’ food ~ is one to open the front door. When I answer that the cat door in the back works great, the staring begins. And bit by bit the kitty gets more and more vocal about it. Until I finally give in.
As soon as I have opened the front door, she ‘s out.

Yet the next thing that happens is surprising ~ now that the door is open, one of the other cats comes in to eat.
Even more surprising is that sometimes that little cat asks loudly for that door to be opened while she is outside; presumably to be let in. Shortly after she prances in, the other cat follows...

All in all the question is a simple one: ‘please open that door...’
But there is a lot more that goes on behind that simple request... It doesn’t seem to be as much that the cat is lazy and doesn’t want to go the long way around the back, there is a different reason ~ and it is one that goes further that her individual desires, it serves a ‘greater good’. It is done ~ at least in part ~ to let the older cat enter easily when he is hungry; or when the weather is too cold and wet to be outside, cat or human alike.

Here this little black cat keeps track of her two companions, and in her own way, she makes sure their needs are filled along with hers.
In doing so she shows the world that when things are done for the ‘greater good’, you don’t have to sacrifice what you as an individual desire. Things can be done in such a way that not only your individual desires are fulfilled, but on top of that the wishes or needs of the group are also answered to.

And when that little cat is done with this entire procedure, she will come sit next to me, purring proudly as if to say: “Am I not the very best ever?”
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment