Friday, August 29, 2014

Untitled

.
Untitled implies undefined; literally unnamed.
It could give the impression that whatever it is, may not be important enough to bother with. Not interesting enough to take a look at…

Yet, mostly by mistake and my yearning to at least ‘save’ the file before it gets lost, every once in a while I find documents on my computer with the name: ‘untitled’. Had they been saved on my desktop ~ as I would normally save new documents to ~ I would probably have noticed and named the file appropriately.
However, sometimes the file finds its way into some folder that I, in all likelihood, had visited before. Not remembering which folder that might have been exactly; and being impatient about it ~ I probably would have duplicated and saved the document again; now on the desktop and properly named.

Leaving that untitled file hanging. Somewhere…

Yes, I know, this is a practice that can create numerous ‘double’ files in different locations. Yes, I know, it may not be the best way to use my trusty computer’s memory… But hey…

What it does do is that every once in a while I look for something and I go to that one folder where it should be at (and chances are it is). And apart from that piece of information I was looking for, I find this document that says ‘untitled’.

Often it turns out to be a little present to myself. something that I normally would not have revisited, but that is totally fitting for what is happening in my life right at that moment.
And as such, it can give me pause to think.
It can be a reason to stop, step back, and ponder the thought as to what I am doing, and why…

Now, I am not advising anyone to adopt this sloppy way of saving their documents in such a way that they are hard to find. There is a lot to say for a neat desktop and a comprehensive system when it comes to filing your work, your pictures, even your random writings away.

On the other hand, when we encounter something unexpected, unknown, or ‘untitled’; especially when we are really busy with all kinds of things and are at risk of losing grip on the situation we find ourselves in ~ it is probably a good thing to stop for a moment. To step back, and to see what this unexpected, unknown, ‘untitled’ thing, file or experience has to tell us.
It may turn out to be something truly worthwhile!
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment