Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Having your ducks in a row

.
Looking at ducks moving from one place to another, this is typically an expression that has found its origin in nature. And once those ducks have decided where to go to, it actually seems to happen in the orderly fashion the saying suggests...

The thing is, that before that decision is made, there can be ducks everywhere ~ each doing its own thing, hardly bothered by what their fellow ducks are doing or where they want to go.

That is how I have  been feeling lately.
Plenty ducks, but they are all over the place, moving in all directions and not going anywhere fast.
It is probably hard to believe that I consider this situation a step up from where I was before: chaos, and not any scattered ducks in sight... At least now there are ducks...

So how did a nice girl like me get in a situation like this?
Well, the short answer is that I want my cake and eat it too!

Last Spring I decided that I enjoy all the things I do tremendously, and therefore, if I really want to be successful in doing a variety of things to make a living ~ I had better put energy into each and every one of them. And not only that; I also decided that a good use of my time would be to start to process of getting an e-business going ~ realizing this would take some time and energy, but also hoping that would be time and energy well spent in the long run.
So this is what I have set out to do ~ expanding not only the number of things I do, but also the time spend on each of those things.

And pretty soon I had created plenty of ducks that all were moving in their own, uncoordinated directions. The problem seems to come with getting all these ducks in a row...
In other words, creating one flow of energy that encompasses all my separate endeavors.

One way to do this is to find where each activity touches on another. What are the common ingredients?
At first glance, I seem to be the only common ingredient. But when I look at it longer, other things start to pop up: like creative expression, an urge to be self sufficient, and a desire to be able to help others.
And as soon as I took those things as guidelines to make decisions as to where to spend my time and energy first, I found that my ducks started to align themselves...

I am now beginning to believe that yes, I can have my cake and eat it too!
(And by the way, ducks love cake ~ but then especially here in town, they pretty much eat anything they can get their bills on)
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment