Friday, September 3, 2010

What’s in a name? ~ again

.
Where in business the name and the energy of a business seem to get interwoven on much deeper levels than meet the eye ~ the same is true with our personal names and our energies.

It was a long time ago when I noticed that some people would call be by either one of my given names ~ and that which name they picked to call me by indicated which aspects of me they preferred to interact with. Those that called me ‘Anne’ seemed to not want to stray from practical, logical ‘real world’ interaction. While those that called me ‘Claire’ usually were open to my more ‘airy-fairy’ side and subsequent perspectives.
I have come to understand that my name ~ Anne Claire ~ provides me with a balance on a much deeper level than is obvious, as it allows both sides of me to thrive.

This would mean that a name is really important, as it refers to, and maybe even brings out, certain aspects of Self!

And in turn this makes me wonder about people who feel they need to change their names. On one hand it seems an obvious way to start ringing out a different aspect of who you are ~ and I can totally understand how that can be so appropriate! Especially when one has encountered circumstances that have profoundly changed their perspectives on live. On the other hand, how do you know what name to  choose? Are the effects of the new name more or less clear in advance?
And what happens if you would choose a name that changes the energy in such a manner that you seem to step from the frying pan into the fire? (And is this at all possible?)

The concept of how your name and your energy are interwoven also makes me curious if there might be certain characteristics that go with certain names. Like if there might be similarities in energy or otherwise between say 100 people named ‘Paul’, or ‘Lisa’.
And if there were, would those similarities be across cultures? Across astrological signs? Would they be as strong in people who were given their grandfather’s or grandmother’s given names because tradition required them being named that way?

Following the path my mind is wandering along, I even question how big the influence of the name our parents gave us is from the perspective that they ~ consciously or subconsciously ~ have chosen a name for us that would bring those aspects of us to the surface that would shape us into what they desired us to be... And if this is so, wouldn’t it be a natural thing to do to, at some point in our lives, change our names into a name of our choosing, our desire?

Think about it... Would you change your name?
And what name would you choose?
.
.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne Claire,
    I resonate with your energy as well as your words of wisdom. Please feel free to check out my blog as well. www.nancyinnerwisdom.blogspot.com.

    I am one of those people who changed my name. I never resonated with my maiden name even as a child and was not all attached to my married name. When I began to study with various shamans from different traditions and parts of the world I was amazed that they all called me by the same name. The name was"Spirit Web"as they said that I had the medicine of weaving spirit. The shamans from different locations did not know one another or what the previous shaman had called me. Each said that my name was the imprint of my energy. All advised me to change my name to fully live into my medicine. I was a bit resistant to this even though it always felt comfortable and right. I got stopped by several things:The legal process, changing my identity when I had an established business and family and societal reaction.It wasn't until after my divorce when I went on a vision quest that nature reconfirmed my name. During a rain storm I slept on a mound to stay dry. A tarp was slung over a tree branch above me and staked down. Sleeping on this mound was very uncomfortable. Later I realized that it was a re-birthing mound. when I woke in the morning I was encased from the tarp down to the ground by huge round spider webs. It was after this that I succumbed to taking on my shaman name and legally changed my last name to Web. I have never looked back. It is the only name I have truly resonated with and it is who I am at my core.I did not consciously choose this name it was chosen for me and it is who I am.

    ReplyDelete