Friday, November 12, 2010

Rats, Mice, and Tails

.
Let me start by saying that I really do appreciate all animals. Even mosquitos, although I have to admit I prefer them to stay far from me.
This is therefore not about the the animas as such, but more about the figurative perspectives...

There is a Dutch saying that says that every mouse has a tail. It means as much as that even when you think something is all finished, there is something still coming. It is usually referring to some kind of interaction.
There is also an American saying that says that when you see one rat, there are a hundred more that you don’t see.

This being said ~ I have been thinking a lot about rats and mice and tails over the last weeks.
It all started with what at least on the surface looked like an administrative change in my telephone subscription. How hard can it be to go from analogue to digital, right?
But just when I thought I had successfully wound my way through the bureaucratic process, and thought I had made it to the finish, one of my telephone lines was cut off.
The mouse most definitely has a tail...
Apparently it is easy to bring one line into the digital era; but not two.
It’s complicated, I am told by every customer service person I have talked with since, and I must have talked with pretty much all of them by now. Good thing mice come in large families.

In this process where I am explaining my plight to every new person I get on the phone all over again, little tidbits of information (that I am certain they were not intending me to have) leak out.
It appears that in this simple shift from analogue to digital, multiple mistakes were made. Where it started with one miscommunication, this became the basis for another mistake, and another, and another.
When you see one rat, there are a hundred more you don’t see...

In the meantime I find myself at a curious halfway point.
Not only do I have only one out of two telephone lines ~ halfway to full interaction. With one ~ the working phone line ~ that has made it to the digital age, the future in a sense; and the other line ~ the one I am working so hard to recover ~ stuck in the analogue era, and as such in the past.

One could state that when you are living in the present, in that moment between past and future, not many words are needed. Or, on the other hand, that being partly stuck in the past is holding back full interaction with the world around me.

One thing is certain, I can’t wait for this rat’s nest to be unravelled!
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment