Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Forgetting

.
In order to not forget things, I use a structure within which I do them ~ a routine, a pattern. And so this structure is not as much something that I cannot or should not deviate from ~ it is more of a familiar pathway that helps me getting stuff done in time.

So for a number of years I have published my blog ~ like clockwork ~ every Tuesday and Friday. On the blog the date sometimes appears a day early due to time differences. (No, I don’t set the time on my computer to the time zone I’m in; it’s pretty much set to Pacific time all the time. Yes there are reasons to do that ~ which may not even be good reasons from a logical perspective. But here it is, and I’m not about to change that little quirkiness.) But over time a new blog has appeared twice a week.

Until now.

Writing my new entry I suddenly notice that the previous blog I have posted is dated a week ago. Somehow, without even being aware of it, I have stepped outside of that structure, that familiar pathway. And as a result my blog didn’t get posted.

My first reaction was surprise. How could I forget? I have been blogging twice a week for ages! But then a different ~ and come to think about it, more interesting sensation came up. A certain sense of relief. The world didn’t collapse. No-one commented demanding to know when I was planning to post my new blog... In forgetting to post my blog, I have gained a sense of flexibility and freedom!
This doesn’t mean that I won’t be posting my blogs regularly; I’ll keep doing that. It does mean, however, that if there is a week when I don’t have time to sit down and write a blog; or a day when there just don’t seem to be the right words ~ a blog post may be skipped.

It is almost like in forgetting to do something we would normally do in a structured manner ~ in a routine or a pattern ~ we are receiving a message from a Higher Source telling us to reevaluate. To take a step back in order to see whether what we are doing following those all too familiar pathways is really still that important to us...
If it isn’t, then perhaps we should stop spending our time and energy doing those things.
Yet if it is ~ to continue doing them, albeit in a more relaxed, more flexible manner.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment