Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Greatest Achievements

.
When I grew up, I had my goals set quite high. I wanted to make a difference on a national, if not global scale. I wasn’t sure how I would go about it; but I was certain it would have something to do with my creative expression of myself ~ and, in my mind, it might well be in the direction of creating very special pieces of jewelry!

That was many years ago, and looking at my life today, it is surprising how different, yet how similar my goals are compared to those long ago times...

I still want to impact the world, make it a better place for all of us. (Dreaming big? You bet ya!)
The idea of how to go about it to reach that goal is what has changed. Sure enough, I enjoy writing this blog and putting it out for the world to see. But the real impact I can have on the world lies a lot closer to home.

Making the world a better place to live in, really does start with oneself.
It is not enough to talk about it, it is necessary to create our own life in the image we wish the world to become... This means that if we want to bring peace into the world, we need to create peace in our personal lives ~ and the way to do that is to bring peace into our Selves, to be peaceful.
Doing that, even if it is just in our meditations, is an achievement!

Other very personal achievements are things like learning to stand up for oneself, finally deciding to take time to smell the roses every once in a while ~ or the fact that you have survived an extremely busy week.

And with the recognition of each of those (or similar) personal achievements, the acceptance of ourselves is enhanced. We gain a greater balance within ourselves.
From this greater personal balance, we can influence the world around us in a beneficial manner. Our personal balance will have a tendency to radiate from us and affect the people we meet...

For me, taking an effort to make the world a better place outside of myself, means to have a sincere interest in what is happening in the world. The greatest changes come from a kind word, a smile ~ and a genuine interest in those around you.

And I count the times that I have been successful in helping others ~ whether that happened because I ‘was at the right time at the right place’, or by appointment ~ as my greatest achievements.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment