Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Yearning

.
Some of the memories I have seem to go back to before my current life experience. They are a mixture of color, of light, temperature, and even scent ~ all wrapped into a very specific energy with a clear marker as to the type of experience I once had.
These memories often are shamanic in nature. Spiritual. Of age-old teachings that were important to me at that time, that place ~ and even if I don’t exactly remember when or where; the memory is clear.

When one of those memories comes up in my mind ~ whether it happens in a dream or in a meditation; if it is something I am looking to recover, or whether it comes unbidden ~ there is an almost immediate yearning to recapture that experience. To connect again with the other people involved ~ if I have any recollection of them at all...

I can have a similar yearning for the handful of people that really have made an impression on me on my path through life. There are not that many of them, yet those that are were ~ and obviously still are ~ very important to me as they even now are pulling me back through time and space into that experience from long ago.
Experiences that invariably have a certain ‘goodness’ about them. There is an innocence, a purity associated with them. A beauty. A sense of respect. A true, deep friendship.

It is this ‘goodness’ that is hard to find in the world today. That true connection with a kindred spirit and the shared experience that we had ~ as now, in this day and age, the deepest bond we create with others is not necessarily in person, but more often than not through digital means. Through cell phones, the internet, and social media.

In essence one could say that our modern day associations are more mental. Less personal in the most literal sense; less of a physical, person to person association. And with that we tend to reduce our sensory input. The lighting, colors, temperature, scent, the touch of one person to the other that used to convey an enthusiasm, a support ~ they are not as important as they used to be anymore.
We, as humans, are becoming more and more visual and auditory creatures.

And while that in and of itself is not a bad thing ~ I for one feel that deep, powerful yearning for that full sensory experience of way back when, and the ‘goodness’ that was part of it...
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment