Friday, August 16, 2013

Simple

.
Nowadays, it seems that nothing is simple anymore.

There are so many things we need to do ~ chores, grocery shopping, spending time with family or friends; not to forget our jobs... On top of that we are bombarded with information through TV, radio, and the internet. Luckily we have music to listen to on our MP3 players or phones when we are on our way to get from one place to another ~ which can automatically be interrupted when somebody tries to reach us by phone, email, etc.
All in all this has us on our toes 24/7. Busy with something all the time.

Pretty soon our lives that at one time seemed so clear and simple, get to a point at which things get muddied; messy. We try to focus on so many things ~ non of them necessarily complex ~ yet the multitude of them seems to make even the simplest among them difficult.

Before we know it, we find ourselves in a potential overwhelm situation.
And nothing we think or do is simple from that moment on.

It is when I reach that point that I think to myself: life shouldn’t be as hard as this. Life should be much simpler...

So I start organizing my schedule, taking a bit more time to rest. I begin setting up to-do lists, don’t forget lists, and so on. And it works for me at least for a week or two ~ after that I slowly but certainly slide back into the same hectic overwhelm situation. Until I come to that point where I tell myself that my life should be much simpler... Again.

The thing is, that up to now I have tried to fix the complexities of my life by organizing everything around me. It occurred to me that the one thing I never tried before is to change me.
To see what attitudes I have that stand in the way of my life being the simple, focussed life I desire. To explore ~ looking at all the things I do ~ what I really want to do, as opposed to doing them because ‘I have always done them’. To find out where I can be most productive; where I find most fulfillment.

As it turns out this approach works much better for me.
The more I learn about what my part is in creating the hectic every-day environment I so want to escape ~ the more I discover the ‘real me’.
And the simpler my life is becoming...
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment